We are looking for a new editor for The Stinging Fly magazine. The new editor will join the team in August and work towards preparing our Summer 2023 edition for publication in May 2023. Applications close on May 30th. Please help us by spreading the word.
About the role
Reporting to the CEO/Publisher, the Magazine Editor has creative, logistical and administrative control over output and production of The Stinging Fly magazine, with a remit to publish and promote the very best new Irish and international writing. We currently publish two 240-page issues of the magazine each year, in May and November.
The Editor will publish the magazine in accordance with our strategic priorities and values as per our 2021–2023 strategy. The Editor will also contribute to other activities, including our podcasts, events, summer schools, workshops and mentoring schemes.
This is a part-time position, working on average 18 hours per week.
The Magazine Editor will:
- Edit and publish two issues of The Stinging Fly each year
- Coordinate and manage the team of editors, contributing editors and readers
- Manage submissions using the Submittable platform
- Select fiction and non-fiction from submissions received, commissioning additional work where appropriate
- Manage rejections of unsuccessful submissions, ensuring that an appropriate level of feedback is provided
- Work with our Poetry Editor towards finalising the selection of poetry to be included in each issue
- Commission and manage cover design with graphic designers, sourcing artwork where necessary
- Work in accordance with the organisation’s strategic priorities, taking an active lead in ensuring our values are animated through the magazine and across our programme of activities
- Edit accepted submissions over a number of drafts, liaising with writers to ensure the selected work is ready for publication
- Take on proof-reading work, as well as liaising with proof-readers
- Plan and schedule drafts with writers
- Typeset all edited material in preparation for publication, using InDesign
- Write an editorial for each magazine issue
- Ensure magazine production is on budget and on time
- Liaise with the Publisher on production and budgetary matters
- Work with the in-house team to conduct pre-publication checks on final product (magazine)
- Liaise with printers
- Organise launches and other promotional events, including representing The Stinging Fly at literary festivals
- Prepare a selection of work from each issue for online publication
- Engage in promotion of the magazine (in various forms—e.g., The Stinging Fly podcast, radio, print journalism)
- As and when required, contribute to other facets of The Stinging Fly’s programme of activities and to the ongoing development of the organisation
What We Are Looking For
Knowledge and Experience:
- Proven track record in editing work for publication, particularly short stories
- A clear understanding of the needs of different writers at different stages of their writing careers and of The Stinging Fly’s role in responding to those needs
- Broad experience of engaging with writers
- Good knowledge of the literature sector and of the publishing industry and the wider arts sector in Ireland and internationally
- Superb editorial skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organisational and administrative skills
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Proven time management and project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (MS Word and MS Excel in particular)
- Preferably, proficiency in InDesign and Adobe Acrobat
- A passion for contemporary literature, supporting writers and nurturing new voices
- A talent for listening and communicating
- Creativity and agile thinking
- Patience, compassion and empathy
- Awareness of broader cultural environment and commitment to social justice
Terms and Conditions
- The position is a part-time 3-year contract with a 6-month probation period.
- The proposed start date is August 15th 2022 with a view to the successful candidate editing the Summer 2023 issue, which will be published in May 2023.
- The Magazine Editor will work remotely for the most part, with a need to be available to attend key meetings and events in Dublin throughout the calendar year.
- The post holder will be expected to work on average 2.5 days/18 hours per week and be willing to undertake occasional evening and weekend work as necessitated by the work programme. The weekly work schedule is flexible and will be agreed in consultation with the CEO upon appointment.
- A gross salary of €24,000 per annum will be paid.
How To Apply
Email your cover letter and CV to Declan Meade, CEO/Publisher (preferably in one combined document) at email@example.com, with MAGAZINE EDITOR in the subject line, before 5pm on Monday May 30th 2022.
The cover letter should detail your fit for the role and your interest in The Stinging Fly.
The Stinging Fly CLG is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. All applicants will be notified by June 9th and interviews will be held via Zoom on Tuesday June 21st. The position will be subject to any necessary reference checks.
The Stinging Fly’s mission is to seek out, nurture, publish and promote the very best new writers and new writing.
We published the first issue of the magazine in March 1998 and we continue to publish two issues every year. The magazine remains central to who we are and what we do. Open submissions are accepted, read and considered for every issue. We work with all our writers to edit their stories, essays and poems in preparation for publication. Our aim is to feature the best new writing from Ireland and beyond in each edition, offering readers an eclectic and enlivening mix of fiction, non-fiction and poetry.
In addition to publishing the magazine, The Stinging Fly is now also a book publisher, an online platform and an education provider. We are in receipt of Strategic Funding from The Arts Council and receive additional support from the T.S. Eliot Foundation.
More information here.